Dara Singh is an Indian professional wrestler, he was also a talented actor and was the first sportsman to be nominated as a member of the upper house of India (Rajya Sabha).
Well known for his marvellous performance at the 2018 WWE, later his role of Hanuman in Bajrangbali and Ramayan made him immensely popular in the film world too. Born in Amritsar on 19th November 1928, he had many other talents as well like film producing, directing, writing, and brains in politics.
|Real Name||Deedar Singh Randhawa|
|Profession’s||Actor, Wrestler, Director, Politician|
|Date of Birth||19th November 1928|
|Birthplace||Dharmuchak, Amritsar District, Punjab, British India|
|Hometown||Dharmuchak, Amritsar District, Punjab, British India|
|Political Inclination||Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)|
|Death||12 July 2012 (aged 83)|
|Place Of Death||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|Height (approx)||in centimetres- 188 cm|
in meter- 1.88 m
in feet & inches- 6’2”
|Weight (approx)||in Kilogram- 127 kg|
in pounds- 280 lbs
|Body Measurements (approx)||Chest- 52 inches|
waist- 38 inches
Biceps- 18 inches
|Eyes Colour||Dark Brown|
|Hair Colour||Salt & paper|
Career & Achievement
He began his wrestling career with training under Harnam Singh in the Great World Stadium of Singapore where he started working in a drum-manufacturing factory from 1947. In 1954, Dara won the Rustam-e-Hind championship and was honoured with a silver cup award from Maharaja Hari Singh. He won the Commonwealth Championship at Calcutta in 1959 and the World Championship in Bombay in 1968. He started his acting career as a stunt actor in 1952.
He acted in 16 Hindi films and became the highest-paid B-grade actor receiving nearly four lacs per film. Later, he joined the TV in the late 1980s playing Hanuman in the Hindu epic Ramayana. He was also seen acting in Mahabharata, directed 7 Punjabi films and 2 Hindi films; Jab We Met was his last one. He was a member of the Rajya Sabha from 2003 to 2009 as a BJP representative
|Award / Achievement||● 1951 – Champion of Malaysia|
● 1954 – Rustam-e-Hind championship winner
● 1959 – Commonwealth Championship winner
● WWW World Heavyweight Championship
● 1966 – Rustam-e-Punjab winner
● 1968 – World Championship winner
● 2016 – joined the list of India’s top wrestlers of all time.
● 2018 – WWE Hall of Fame
|Years Active||1947–1983 (wrestler)|
Family, Parents, Siblings
|Salary (approx)||₹ 4 Lakh/Film|
|Net Worth (approx)||$ 4 million (as in 2012)|
- He made his debut in 1948
- He owned the Dara Studio in Punjab, founded in 1978.
- The Epic Journey of the Great Dara Singh – a comic book launched by his son in 2019 in Delhi Oxford Bookstore
- Weighed 127 kgs with a height of 6″ 2 in his adulthood
- Singh married twice and had three sons and three daughters including his son Vindu Dara Singh who is now a TV and film actor and won the 3rd season of Bigg Boss.
- He used to get paid four lacs per film.
- His food habit was non-vegetarian despite being from a conservative family.
Titles he won
- Iron man of Indian Cinema
- The Original Muscle Man of Bollywood
- Action King of Bollywood