Have you heard about the chipko movement? Who was the leader of this action? Now you might have remembered the Sunderlal Bahuguna. He has acted in a lot of Satyagraha for protecting the environment. This article can help you to know about biography, career and more about him.
The legendary Sunderlal Bahuguna was born on January 9, 1927, in Uttrakhand. You can recognize him as a great worker, Gandhian, philosopher, and more. Recently he died on May 21 due to the Covid-19 virus. He struggled with his last breath in Rishikesh hospital.
|Real Name||Sunderlal Bahuguna|
|Date of Birth||9 January 1927|
|Birthplace||Maroda, Tehri Garhwal, Uttarakhand|
|Date of Death||21 May 2021|
|Place of Death||Rishikesh, Uttarakhand, India|
|Cause of Death||Covid-19 virus|
|Age (at the time of death)||94 Years|
|Hobbies||Care of Plants|
|Education Qualification||Doctorate in Philosophy|
|Height (approx)||in centimetres- 185 cm|
in meter- 1.85 m
in feet & inches- 6’2”
|Weight (approx)||in Kilogram- 75 kg|
in pounds- 165 lbs
|Eyes Colour||Hazel Brown|
Family, Parents, Siblings
|Wife/ Spouse||Vimla Bahuguna|
|Date of Marriage||(m. ?–2021)|
|Parents||Father– Ambadutt Bahuguna|
Mother- Poorna devi
Rajeev Nayan Bahuguna
|Siblings||Brother- Not Know|
Sister- Not Know
- He had much interest in social activities. Also, he actively participated in the chipko movement.
- After this, people recognize him as Gandhist. Also, he studied philosophy.
- Sunderlal Bahuguna got the Padma Shri award in 1981.
- In 1987, he received the exemplary livelihood award for the chipko movement.
- In 2009 he won the Padma Vibhushan award.
|Jamnalal Bajaj Award for constructive work||1986|
|Right Livelihood Award (Chipko Movement)||1987|
|Padma Shri (Refused) In 1987 Bahuguna had refused to accept the Padma Shri over the government’s refusal to cancel the Tehri dam project despite his protests.||1987|
|Honorary Degree of Doctor of Social Sciences was conferred by IIT Roorkee||1989|
|Padma Vibhushan Award by government of India for environment conservation||2009|
Sunderlal Bahuguna actively participated against accountability. He got indulged in many social activities from thirteen age. Sunderlal earlier followed Shri Dev Suman for his works. He encouraged people to get mobilized from colonial rule in 1947. The Chipko movement has continued as the Appiko movement in Karnataka. Did you know Sunderlal Bahuguna as a political leader? Yes, he also made a political place in the congress party. Sunderlal Bahuguna always followed Gandhian principles. Also, he encouraged people to follow the same.
- Sunderlal Bahuguna made a slogan for many Chipko movements. He had indulged in about 5000 km trans Himalaya march. It lasted from 1981 to 1983. With his efforts, prime minister Indira Gandhi had banned the cutting of trees for around 15 years. Sunderlal Bahuguna has a close association with Gaura Devi.
- He has spent most of his life on the welfare of people. He acted in many social activities. The Chipko movement has made people know the importance of trees. But now, this legend has closed his eyes forever. But he’s still alive with his wondrous works.
Sunderlal Bahuguna has set up a motivation for people to save the environment. He had to face many troubles with the covid-19 virus.
Q.1) who is Sunderlal Bahuguna?
Sunderlal Bahuguna is an Environmentalist and a Leader of Chipko movement.
Q.2) when did Sunderlal Bahuguna died?
Sunderlal Bahuguna died on May 21 due to the covid-19 virus. He struggled with his last breath in Rishikesh hospital.